Laptop for Linux

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Sat Aug 18 00:32:17 MST 2007

For anyone else struggling with this card:
For Intel 4229 (A.K.A. Intel PRO/Wireless 4965AGN) you'll need a very recent kernel build, 2.6.21 or later (I think), with both the new mac80211 subsystem and the iwlwifi drivers in the kernel tree.
The very latest version of the kernel/mac80211/iwlwifi combination adds better G mode support and some other improvements.  This is a very new driver built on a brand new kernel subsystem, so things are still somewhat unstable.
There is an older driver available from the Intel site, but it doesn't do everything the card can do, and doesn't always work with newer cards.

Don't forget to load the firmware for whichever card you have, most are now SDR units, and without firmware to define their waveforms, they don't know how to be a radio...

For a new laptop purchase, I'd recommend getting a known-supported built-in wifi, and a laptop with at least 1 ExpressCard-54 slot.  2 slots is even better.
Not a lot of wifi cards are available in ExpressCard form yet, but there are some, and some of those have good driver support in the kernel (you can check the wireless-dev tree for the kernel for which drivers are available).

CentOS is quite a bit behind on kernel versions, last I checked, so you're likely to have issues there.  Fedora is better, I believe the latest (FC7) has the new mac80211 enabled by default.

For anyone considering an HP pavilion, a word of caution.  Almost all HP/Compaq laptops use custom-modified chipsets and mini-pci wireless cards, so even cards that have drivers in the kernel might not work if they come with an HP/Compaq laptop.
Binary drivers (ndiswrapper, ATI/Nvidia, etc...) usually work on these laptops, but the F/OSS drivers sometimes do not.