Aunt Tilly's Linux

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Fri Aug 17 09:02:10 MST 2007

On Thursday 16 August 2007 22:45, after a long battle with technology,
Ted Gould wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-08-16 at 16:51 -0700, JT Moree wrote:
> > Ted Gould wrote:
> > > In my experience don't question why you need to know this magic
> > > keyword to KDE people, they are unable to talk rationally about
> > > it.  Hopefully this has changed in newer version of KDE.  (I'm
> > > sure someone will respond to this :))
> > how has it changed?
> I don't think that it has.  It should though.  It's very difficult
> for new users to understand.

Yes, and while we're at it, "http://" is too hard to understand.  It
should be "web://" !  The documentation for the fish KIOslave doesn't
explain why it's called "fish", but I'd guess some programmer thought
it'd be A) amusing B) easy to remember.  I don't have time right now to
grovel through the KIOslave source and figure out the details.  Please
note that sftp:// can be used in much the same way as fish:// AFAICT,
at least in konqueror 3.5.5.  People may find this more palatable since
sftp is a reasonably well-known program.

(And there's now a groupwise:// KIOslave, though its documentation is
missing for some reason.  Oh, the huge manatee!)

--
   Something unpleasant is coming when men are anxious to tell the
   truth.   --Benjamin Disraeli