Aunt Tilly's Linux

Chris Gehlker canyonrat at mac.com
Thu Aug 16 20:39:57 MST 2007

On Aug 16, 2007, at 10:49 AM, Ted Gould wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-08-16 at 10:31 -0700, Chris Gehlker wrote:
>> My  question for you all is this: 'Is the Nautilus shell common
>> enough on newbie desktop Linux systems that it is reasonable just to
>> assume it is there?'
>
> For GNOME based distributions it is.  There are some KDE ones also.
> Konquerer has the same feature, but you have to remember the magic
> keyword "fish", so a SSH URI is "fish://myserver/".
>
> In my experience don't question why you need to know this magic
> keyword
> to KDE people, they are unable to talk rationally about it.  Hopefully
> this has changed in newer version of KDE.  (I'm sure someone will
> respond to this :))

Thanks Ted and Jon,

Can you recommend a newbie oriented KDE distribution so I can go
'fishing' myself. Here are the distros "officially" supported by my
virtualization software though I don't think that matters much:

Red Hat® Enterprise Linux 5, 4, 3
Red Hat® Linux 9, 8, 7.3
Debian® Linux 4.0, 3.1
FedoraTM Core Linux 6, 5, 4, 3
SUSE® Linux 10.2, 10.1, 10.0, 9.3, 9.2, 9.1, 9.0
MandrakeTM Linux 10.1, 10, 9.2
Mandriva Linux 2007
Ubuntu® Linux 7.04, 6.10, 6.06, 5.04
Xandros Busines 4.0
CentOS 5

--
The folly of mistaking a paradox for a discovery, a metaphor for a
proof, a torrent of verbiage for a spring of capital truths, and