GoDaddyGrill.com

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Thu Aug 16 16:46:28 MST 2007

On Thu, Aug 16, 2007 at 04:16:12PM -0700, keith smith wrote:
> Now I'm no lawyer...  However I was thinking of putting up a BBQ site
> not a site to compete with GoDaddy.....

I think you just tripped their alarm when a site became available. It's
entirely possible no human has looked at your site.

> Of course I do not want to fight with GoDaddy, however I do not want
> to sign anything either.  I am going to release the domain however I
> am doing so under duress.
>
> It is not my desire to cause a flame war on this list over big brother
> and little me.  If we have a philosophical discussion that would be
> nice though.

I'm not sure I'd consider this duress *yet*, though it may become so
later.

Thing is, if GoDaddy doesn't actively protect their trademark,
servicemark, copyright, etc., then they stand a real chance of losing
it. Not defending GoDaddy here, but you're also likely to encounter a
similar response if your domain name contains "microsoft," "google,"
"redhat," or "cisco."

You might try getting through to a human and letting them know that you
have no intention of messing with the GoDaddy brand, that you're doing a
BBQ site on this domain, and that you're willing to sign an agreement to
that effect. They may tell you to jump in a lake, or they may say ok.

If you want to hand over the domain and try for another one, good luck.
CiscoGrill.com and GoogleGrill.com are already taken. RedhatGrill.com is
still available, though. Jump in it while you can...

*IANAL*

*Obviously!*

--
Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD User Group  |  MetaBUG
dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://phxbug.org/      |  http://metabug.org/