GoDaddyGrill.com

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 16 16:16:12 MST 2007

I have to share this story with my fellow open source / free software folks.

About 3 years ago I resisted a domain GoDaddyGrill.com.  I registered it under my Wild West Domains Affiliate account.

It sat un-hosted until about 2 months ago when I hosted it to test codeigniter. See for yourself:  http://www.godaddygrill.com/

Yesterday I get an email from GoDaddy as follows:

- - - - - - - -
It has come to our attention that a domain name you have registered is infringing upon one or more of GoDaddy.com trademarks.

As you may be aware, GoDaddy.com is a registered trademark of GoDaddy.com.  We are writing as a courtesy to inform you that your use of the term "Go Daddy" in your domain name or a domain name that is substantially the same or confusingly similar to the "Go Daddy" mark is likely to cause confusion in the marketplace and would therefore likely be construed as a violation of the GoDaddy.com trademark.

As a result, we would like to reimburse you for your purchase of this domain and transfer the domain into our control.

Please transfer the domain name to GoDaddy within 10 calendar days.

Now I'm no lawyer...  However I was thinking of putting up a BBQ site not a site to compete with GoDaddy.....

They have offered to extend the registration of one of my other domains for 2 years for releasing it and will want me to sign an agreement.

Of course I do not want to fight with GoDaddy, however I do not want to sign anything either.  I am going to release the domain however I am doing so under duress.

It is not my desire to cause a flame war on this list over big brother and little me.  If we have a philosophical discussion that would be nice though.

There used to be a lawyer on the list... wonder if he is still around.

Keith Smith
(480) 584-4772
PHP Programming