resume tools

Dennis Kibbe dennisk at linuxquestions.net
Mon Aug 13 07:58:30 MST 2007

**********der.hans wrote:
> moin moin,
>
> playing around with resume stuff this weekend and I was wondering if
> anyone had recommendations for something to use.
<SNIP>

> ciao,
>
> der.hans

Before deciding I'd recommend reading two books on creating resumes

Who's Hiring Who: How to Find That Job Fast by Richard Lathrop

and

The Perfect Resume: Today's Ultimate Job Search Tool by Tom Jackson

They may change the way you think about resumes and help you better
define your skill set.

The best resume I ever saw was laid out similar to a Route 66 diner
breakfast menu (it was for a graphics art position). Keep all the cheesy
clipart (rooster crowing, waitress carrying tray, etc.) and replace the
hash browns with a skill set and you have the idea. The presentation was
so profession and so unique that it was guaranteed to be placed on the
top of the stack when it came time to interview candidates.

A Resume, or QUALIFICATIONS BRIEF to use Lanthrop's term, needs to be
hand-crafted for the position you're after. It needs to address *that*
employer's needs and stand out from the crowd. It should make the
employer want to pick up the phone and call you as soon as he puts it down.

Dennisk
--
Phoenix Linux Users Group
"Penguins in the desert"