LinuxWorld Expo Highlights

Phillip Waclawski waclawski at mail.mc.maricopa.edu
Sat Aug 11 00:15:12 MST 2007

Well, yesterday was the last session of the Linux World Conference and
Expo in San Francisco at the Moscone center.

As usual, the weather is amazingly wonderful compared to the Phoenix
Valley. I think the high one day was 74F ;) cool breezes, just
wonderful.

The first day we did some work with BackTrack Live CD,
http://www.remote-exploit.org/backtrack.html  . Lots of nice
attack/penetration testing software all compiled into a nice live CD.
We did have some problems with the network not being fully up for us
until the end of class, but learned quite a bit.

Then we had a 3 hour seminar on hacking web applications, with neat
tricks such as "fuzzing" etc. I now understand a lot more of the weird
http errors I've been getting. I'm being probed. Unsuccessfully
thankfully, but still...

I went to a few other talks that were interesting, some of them a bit
basic, others quite interesting.

At the LPI wine and cheese party (Linux Professional Institute) I was
able to chat with John "Maddog" Hall for about 15 to 20 minutes.
Amazing gentleman, suprisingly softspoken, but then again the "Maddog"
nickname is from a time when he was a lot younger and more
easily "agitated" ;). Talked about how China, South Korea and Japan
are coming together to work on open source Linux derivations as a
group, and how amazing it was considering the attitudes the different
countrys usually have towards each other.

Oh, and I also snagged a lot of Live CDs, suction cup feet for laptops
to keep them cool, a few suse hats, and a T-shirt or two that I can
donate to both the PLUG and a few to give out to my department at MCC
too.

I hope to make another PLUG meeting, please keep up the warnings as to
when the meetings are being held.

Thanks,
Phil Waclawski
PS  Sign up for my classes ASAP (see my previous post ;)

CIS Faculty: Phil Waclawski
http://www.mc.maricopa.edu/~waclawski