Pointless rant: Red Hat Enterprise Server sucks!

Daniel P. Stasinski mooooooo at avenues.org
Fri Aug 10 09:46:27 MST 2007

> Shame on you Kurt for thinking that Red Hat should pander to your SuSE
> driven expectations.

Though I'm not much interested in the thread anymore, I still find the
psychology of it all pretty interesting.

In essence, it is similar to people fleeing California (because California
sucks?) to come to Arizona, and then they go about trying to create the very
thing they left by proposing laws, planting grass in a desert and not using
their turn signals.

I use a spiffy little C compiler called TinyCC that is fast enough to
compile a Linux kernel from source in about 12 seconds.   One of the demos
is a live CD that compiles the kernel before loading it.  Over the years I
have seen more and more people rant about cramming more and more into it,
that if allowed would turn it into gcc.  If they want gcc, why not just use
gcc?

Same thing with AOLserver.   People complain that it doesn't have Apache
features like php and perl modules, .htaccess, etc.   No it doesn't.  It's
not Apache and hopefully will never be?   It fills a very specific need and
does it quite well.

If someone is used to Suse, use Suse!   If they are forced to move to a new
platform, learn the new platform and don't look back.  Every O/S project
fills a certain niche market and if we go about trying to unify them all
then all we will end up up with is bloated MS type products.

Sorry for the ramble/rant.

Daniel