iTunes

Scott (angrykeyboarder) geekboy at angrykeyboarder.com
Thu Aug 9 12:48:49 MST 2007

Ben Francom spake thusly:
> On 8/7/07, *Nathan Aubrey* <nathan at paysonlinux.org
> <mailto:nathan at paysonlinux.org>> wrote:
>

>     Do any of you use iTunes? How do you deal with it on Linux or what
>     do you do?
>

> Ubuntu Fiesty + Amarok.  It can write to music devices (including
> ipods), has playlists, and tons of features.
> Currently, I'm looking at putting Rockbox firmware on my ipod so I can
> sync/play FLAC and OGG as well.
>
> I like xmms for quick playlists.  I've tried Banshee, but I had some
> problems.

I love Amrok. I don't like XMMS (for starters, it's got that
unattractive 20th century GTK1.4 thing going on - I'd use audacious if I
wanted a teensy-weensy player). :)

The best iTunes "clone" I've seen is Rhythmbox. I think it's quite nice,
but I prefer the features and UI of Amarok.  The new GTK2 "clone" of
Amarok called "Exaile" is pretty cool, but not quite as full featured as
Amarok.

I've also made the "mistake" of shopping at the iTunes store in the past
(to the tune of about $400.00.  The reason for this, was I wanted a
whole bunch of songs that I would have had to otherwise buy entire CDs
for.  Otherwise, my normal M.O. is to rip CDs to mp3.

The problem with places like Magnatune and eMusic is that you can't find
mainstream artists there (you know, the one's whose CDs I buy...).

I've nothing against indie & up and coming artists, but I like (a lot
of) the ones you hear one the radio or read about in Billboard or
Rolling Stone...

I do have a membership with eMusic though ($20.00/mo  - for 75 mp3
downloads/mo) and they do have *some* "big" artists but mostly older
catalogue. I do manage to eat up my monthly download allotment with them
though. :)  I've got a mix of "unknown" artists and back catalogue from
"name" artists.  And the mp3s are DRM-free.

--
            Scott
http://angrykeyboarder.com