Troubles w/ gnome-cd-recorder

Vaughn Treude vltreude at deru.com
Wed Aug 8 03:28:45 MST 2007

I'll continue in the sound-related vein.
I've got Centos 4.4 on my Sony Vaio notebook.  I'm try to record analog
audio from the microphone jack.  The program that came with this distro,
gnome-sound-recorder version 2.8.0, is the buggiest Linux program I've
seen in a long time.  The time slider doesn't move, it won't show any
information (channels, etc.) about the file, and I can't save the file
once it's recorded.  It doesn't seem to allow me to record in WAV
format, rather than FLAC, whatever that is.  Worse still, after I
fiddled with it for about 15 minutes, it suddenly STOPPED recording and
now records only silence.  It may have been because I was messing with
the mixer settings; does anyone know how to set them back to the default
value?
Another odd symptom: the sound, as piped in from the microphone and out
through the headphone jack, now sounds distorted, and yet I've backed
off all the levels, and everything on the mixer looks reasonable.  And I
have brought the computer completely down and back up.  I wonder if I
may have somehow damaged the hardware.  The input, which I was using
just for test purposes, was from the headphone jack of a portable music
player, so I wouldn't expect it to have caused problems.
After this I tried the command-line "arecord" program and it won't
record anything either, probably because I've completely hosed my mixer
settings.
Once again, how does a person reset the mixer?  And can anyone recommend
a better program?
Thanks!
Vaughn Treude