Lenovo 3000 c200 installation issues remaining

gm5729 gm5729 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 16:36:16 MST 2007

Hey all I have a new laptop and have been using Debian on desktops for
quite a while so I am pretty familiar with installations. I have 3
issues that I have googled my hearts content out and am at a
standstill for my lappie.

ALSA has a bug in it so I know that is being worked on from the job
number that I saw somewhere on the web. Currently I have no sound and
alsamixer doesnt show anything muted.

I have done a standard install, laptop packages and desktop
environment. For some reason not everything was installed like on a
desktop I am still trying to figure that one out. However, I usually
just install w32codecs, Mplayer and libdvdcss2 from debian-multimedia
and I can play encrypted dvds. No dice on this install. I have a
Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-850 scsi dvd player/writer. sr0: scsi3-mmc drive:
24x/24x writer dvd-ram cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray. I can play the FBI
warning and the beginning credits on Ogle, and Gnomes player however
both of the players stop when the movie starts questioning the
libdvdcss2 driver. I have confirmed that it is installed so I'm lost.
I am running a Lenny box.

A minor irritation is that my firewire, NIC card and wireless are
eth0, eth1 and eth 2 respectively. Why firewire is detected as a
network interface is beyond me. However, I can not configure my
wireless at all. I have a 2.5.21-2-686 kernel which should have the
Broadcom chip covered in it. I can see my hardware with iwconfig. I
also installed bcm43xx-fwcutter and the wireless light flashes on my
box but I can't connect. Kwifimanger sees my wireless but offers no
signal strength on it. If I use the Ndiswrapper for a Dell 1390 WLAN
-- bcmwl5.inf it does not work at all. My hardware is not even seen
and no lights flash on my machine. So ndiswrapper seems like it is not
a viable solution for me. Noting from other googled post the Intel
chip is another wireless setup for my type machine overseas and there
don't appear to be any problems with installs on that chip. I got
lucky with Broadcom;P

dmesg | grep bcm

bcm43xx driver
bcm43xx: Chip ID 0x4311, rev 0x1
bcm43xx: Number of cores: 4
bcm43xx: Core 0: ID 0x800, rev 0x11, vendor 0x4243
bcm43xx: Core 1: ID 0x812, rev 0xa, vendor 0x4243
bcm43xx: Core 2: ID 0x817, rev 0x3, vendor 0x4243
bcm43xx: Core 3: ID 0x820, rev 0x1, vendor 0x4243
bcm43xx: PHY connected
bcm43xx: Detected PHY: Analog: 4, Type 2, Revision 8
bcm43xx: Detected Radio: ID: 2205017f (Manuf: 17f Ver: 2050 Rev: 2)
bcm43xx: Radio turned off
bcm43xx: Radio turned off
bcm43xx: PHY connected
bcm43xx: Microcode rev 0xf5, pl 0x1e (2003-10-10 18:14:1Cool
bcm43xx: Radio turned on
bcm43xx: Radio disabled by hardware
bcm43xx: Chip initialized
bcm43xx: 32-bit DMA initialized
bcm43xx: Keys cleared
bcm43xx: Selected 802.11 core (phytype 2)

Any help finishing up this installation for this box would be
appreciated. I have spent the past two weeks trying to find out the
solutions and none so far.

OR1k