lessing pdfs

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Fri Aug 3 15:19:03 MST 2007

On Friday 03 August 2007 14:43, after a long battle with technology,
Scott (angrykeyboarder) wrote:
> der.hans spake thusly on 208112408 ::
> > Apparently less can now produce the text from pdf files :).

Technically, it's not less, but lesspipe.sh.  This bit me once on a
system where LESSOPEN hadn't been set to its usual value of "|
lesspipe.sh %s" , and I tried to "less foobar.gz" and got garbage.
Take a look at lesspipe.sh to find out what it's really doing, and you
can then use the same structures for your own nefarious purposes.

> Cool. I just tried it on Ubuntu 7.04.  Thanks for the tip. This will
> come in handy.

It seems to replace soft hyphens with spaces, though, which is a bit
annoying.  (Or the PDF I tested it on was written by morans, which is
always a possibility.)

--
   I will rule you all with my iron fist.  YOU!  Obey the fist!
   --Invader Zim