lessing pdfs

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Fri Aug 3 13:13:51 MST 2007

moin moin,

I wanted to look at the binary content for a pdf, so I lessed it. I got
the text of the pdf. Hmm, type $file.pdf claimed it's pdf.

cat $file.pdf | less showed it to be pdf.

Apparently less can now produce the text from pdf files :).

I verified this works on Ubuntu 6.06 ( others verified more recent
releases ) and debian stable.

evince gives much nicer output, but for the times when I just want a quick
view of the content or want to search for a string it'll be great to use
less!

ciao,

der.hans
#  "The reasons for my decision to quit were myriad, but central to the
#  decision was the realization that there are two kinds of companies:
#  Good ones ask you to think for them.
#  The others tell you to think like them." -- Benjy Feen