1&1 - (was Mail Problems - Resolved - Explanation)

Scott (angrykeyboarder) geekboy at angrykeyboarder.com
Wed Aug 1 14:06:41 MST 2007

Darin Wayrynen spake thusly:
>> I have made some progress with my registrar and the company that maintains the
>> domains for that registrar. Supposedly, in the next few hours I will receive
>> the authorization code and the domain will be unlocked...
>>
>> 1&1 here I come!
>>
>> I apologize, I don't mean to be a 1&1 fan boy, but when you call tech support,
>> someone answers. And while I really really really like it when they speak
>> english, at this point I'm willing to speak to ANYONE!
>
> It's nearly impossible for me to let positive remarks about 1&1 stand
> without sharing our sob story.
>
> To summarize, 1&1 sucks.  Period.
>
> We (Deru) lease servers outside of our network from other providers -
> we use the servers to probe our network and data centers to let us
> know if we are having external issues that we need to address that
> internal probing would not or could not notify us about.

[...........]

I've been very happy with 1&1 but I only use them as a Domain Registrar.
In fact, I recently transferred a few of my domains from GoDaddy to them.

I've used two hosting providers in the past few years. AceNet
(www.ace-host.net) and Site5 (http://www.site5.com/in.php?id=23734 -
pardon the plug ;> ).  I've been with the latter now for almost a year
and I've been quite pleased with them (I wasn't too happy with the former).

In addition to their regular (excellent) support they also have a great
peer-to-peer support forum. I've picked up a lot of tips from other
users. And last but not least, they are dirt cheap.

I had considered 181 for hosting but I don't like the fact that they
don't have "point and click" installation for popular stuff like
WordPress, Gallery and so forth). But most of all, I prefer to have my
Domain registrar separate from my hosting provider.

But when it comes to dirt cheap private domains, they are very good.

Just my $.02

--
            Scott
http://angrykeyboarder.com