SVG demo

Joshua Zeidner jjzeidner at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 11:03:01 MST 2007

On 8/1/07, Ted Gould <ted at gould.cx> wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-08-01 at 09:37 -0700, Dan Lund wrote:
> > What'd be even better is if SVG was natively supported by browsers.
>
> It is, in every browser accept one :)
>
> I joke, but I think this is significant.  Why?  Because it's unlikely
> that IE is going to make it into mobile devices.

  It seems the SVG community views mobile devices as the primary future
platform for SVG.  The fact is that Adobe is pushing Flash in mobile phones
and it looks like this will be the dominant standard.  Technologically,
Flash will work as the flash player is relatively simple, portable, and
lightweight.  And these features are central to the Flash standard.  SVG
interpretation is not easy (I believe there was something called TinySVG
that was designed for mobiles?).  Flash is inheritly more compressed in its
format, SVG is huge (those long sets of coordinate pairs).

  http://www.adobe.com/mobile/

  People are constantly arguing over what the standards will be for the
mobile world, they forget that the important standards for ie. wide area
networks didn't come from the commercial sector, and until we get some
action from the FCC, these 'standards' are likely to come in and out with
the tide.

  I personally see a lot of potential for SVG in 'rich apps' for the web.
Its 'viewport' system is really powerful and when used in conjunction with
video would be a powerful platform for artists and 'creative people'.  SVG
will, without a doubt, continue to act as an interchange format for graphic
design.

  Ted, I know youve done a lot of really great stuff with SVG and I applaud
you for it... but lets be realistic in our estimations here.

  So if you want to do
> something cool on an iPhone, you can't use Flash.

 Are you sure Flash does not run on the Iphone?  -jmz

 Your cell phone, it's
> more likely to be Opera, or Minimo, or KHTML.
>
>                 --Ted

.0000. communication.
.0001. development.
.0010. strategy.