My sound went away

Robert N. Eaton Motheaton28 at aol.com
Mon Apr 30 10:31:04 MST 2007

I suspect it's something very simple (but I may be wrong.) I probably
did something dumb, but since I don't have a log of what I did, I just
don't know.

I've read everything I could find on the subject, and have performed the
actions suggested in the FM (as in RTFM).

I read what was in Running Linux and Linux Cookbook (darned little, and
not pertinent.)

I have examined dmesg, various /var/log files, various .conf files. I'm
overwhelmed by the mass of information my computer will give me, but I
don't know what's pertinent and what's not.

OK.  I'm running Xandros Desktop OS 3.0.1 Deluxe, with vmlinux-2.6.9x1
on a homebuilt ABIT MB with nVidia nForce drivers, AMD Athlon 1200mHz,
512 Mb RAM.

A hardware search found this:

> [audio.0000_00_05_0]
>         class = 0x040100
>         classname = Multimedia audio controller
>         desc = nForce MultiMedia audio [Via VT82C686B]
>         manu = nVidia Corporation
>         pci = 0x10de, 0x006b, 0x147b, 0x1c06
>         revision = a2
>         subdesc = 1c06
>         submanu = ABIT Computer Corp.
>
> [audio.0000_00_06_0]
>         class = 0x040100
>         classname = Multimedia audio controller
>         desc = nForce2 AC97 Audio Controler (MCP)
>         kerneldrivers = snd-intel8x0
>         manu = nVidia Corporation
>         pci = 0x10de, 0x006a, 0x147b, 0x1c06
>         revision = a1
>         subdesc = 1c06
>         submanu = ABIT Computer Corp.
>
> [audio.0000_01_06_0]
>         class = 0x040100
>         classname = Multimedia audio controller
>         desc = SB Audigy LS
>         manu = Creative Labs
>         pci = 0x1102, 0x0007, 0x1102, 0x1006
>         subdesc = 1006
>         submanu = Creative Labs
>
> :

And under Sound Card, I got:

Sound driver:3.8.1a-98706 emulation mode

Kernel: Linux Pooh-at-Home 2.6.9x1 #1 Mon Nov 29:12:57 EST 2004 i686

Configuration: 0

Installed drivers: type 10 ALSA emulation

Card config: nVidia nForce 2a10xe5081000, irq 3

Audio device: 0: nVidia nForce2 (DUPLEX)

Sinth devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Midi devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Timers: 7: system timer

Mixers: 0: RealTek ALC658 rev0

(If there are any mistakes in the above few lines, I apologize. I
couldn't find a way to cut and paste them.  I had to copy them the hard
way: Long-hand first, then keyboard: both prone to mistakes.)

Now.  I have never been able to get the audio device built into the
motherboard to work. I have always used the Creative Labs Audigy.

It looks like the sound driver(s) are trying to drive the on-board
audio, but there is no output from there either.  The Creative Labs
Audigy works under WinXP so I know the board isn't blown.

I'm stumped. frustrated.  What kind of debug procedure can I initiate?

In other words, where do I go from here?

Bob Eaton