I want to set up an upload site - HTTPS upload site

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss at granroth.org
Fri Apr 27 14:48:04 MST 2007

Bryan O'Neal wrote:

> I have, on occasion, the need for people outside of our organization
> to send us large files, is their a way to set up a secure upload site
> using Apache?  If so, could some one point me to a how-to?  I can use
> windows or linux base apache, but would prefer not to have to deal
> with learning PHP or Python from scratch if I can help it (though I
> suppose I will have to learn one eventually).

Webdav would work great in this case.  Windows users can access it via
the "web folders" support in XP and on and Linux users can access it via
any number of webdav tools (including the built-in webdav IO slave in
KDE... try 'webdavs://host/' in Konqueror).

There are actually quite a few decent HOWTOs on setting up WebDAV with
SSL.  Here's one that is RH9 centered but with lessons that carry over
for all distros:

http://www.twilight-systems.com/flacco/mozcal/mozcal-webdav-apache2-rh9.html

I have this setup locally for my shared calendars (iCal, KOrganizer,
Sunbird, and Thunderbird w/ Lightning).  It works great.

Kurt