Ubuntu Feisty, ALSA, and my sound chip (CK8s)

Craig Brooksby craig.brooksby at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 09:38:44 MST 2007

Ubuntu always played nice with my mobo's sound chips, until Feisty.
Now, it won't let me select ALSA under preferences, only OSS.  I am
diving into /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base and other places I never wanted
to go.

Playing or ripping a CD (using juicer/gstreamer) results in chirping
gibberish -- like raw modem chatter.   I am able to play
previously-ripped .flac and .mp3s just fine (again, it's using OSS and
not ALSA). Grrr.

There are postings around the net that Feisty has troubles here.  I
suspect that it is not detecting my chipset properly.  I'm a noob but
trying to troubleshoot this.

Just a heads up. -- Craig