Unix (Variant) Kernel Information

Gerard J Snitselaar snits at snitselaar.org
Tue Apr 24 23:09:52 MST 2007

On  0, Darrin Chandler <dwchandler at stilyagin.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 07:58:03PM -0700, Patrick C wrote:
> > Does anyone know any good resources for detailed (but introductory)
> > information about any of the BSD kernels, the Linux kernel (2.6+), or the
> > Darwin kernel? Any books on basic kernel design and concepts would be
> > helpful as well. Printed resources are preferable to online ones (if I'm
> > going to read technical documents and information for an hour or two every
> > day for a few weeks, I'd much rather be able to do it on my couch, under a
> > lamp, than staring at a screen until my neck cramps [that rhyme was
> > unintentional]).
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
>
> The Design and Implementation of the 4.4 BSD Operating System
> by Marshal Kirk McKusick, Keith Bostic, Michael J. Karels, John S.
> Quarterman
> http://www.awprofessional.com/title/0201549794
>
> While this book is a bit old, much of it is still applicable, and the
> design philosophies still mean something even where the code has changed
> in modern BSD systems.
>
> Jeremy C. Reed, please add to this, as I'm sure you have something of
> worth to say!

There is an edition of the BSD book that covers FreeBSD as well.

For Darwin look for the Mac OS X internals book by Amit Singh.

As pointed out in another message O'reilly has the "Understanding the Linux
Kernel" book, and the "Linux Device Drivers" book. There are a couple other
2.6 kernel books:

"Linux Kernel Development" by Robert Love
"The Linux Kernel Primer" by Rodriguez, Fischer, and Smolski

Other books on Unix kernels are:

"Solaris Internals" by McDougall and Mauro
"Unix: The New Frontiers" by Uresh Vahalia
"UNIX Systems for Modern Architectures" by Curt Schimmel
"Design of the UNIX Operating System" by Maurice Bach (SVR2)
"The Magic Garden Explained: The Internals of UNIX SVR4" by Goodheart and Cox
"Lion's Commentary on UNIX" by John Lions (Unix 6th Edition)