Tape Backup

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Tue Apr 24 11:58:48 MST 2007

Am 24. Apr, 2007 schwätzte chip33az at netscape.net so:

> Looks like I will be doing the USB HD solutions.
>
> While I like tape solution, the cost doesn't pay.  For a tape drive, it would
> be about $300 (very cheap estimate).
>
> For that amount, I could get multiple drives (Fry's had a 320GB for $80) and
> just use them.
> I think I'll just use the USB drives.

Get a USB->SATA converter and use normal SATA drives. That'll reduce your
costs and make it easier to upgrade when the next ( presumably faster )
version of USB/IEEE1394/whatever comes out.

I'm told Fry's has them, but I wouldn't trust them from fry's. I recently
bought SATA power connectors and SATA cables from fry's as they were the
only hardware shop open at the time and those connectors don't physically
fit :(.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=2020&cpc=RECOM

Or you could buy an enclosure that allows you to add your own drive.
That's what I used to use before I got the cable above.

The cable will also work for hooking up CDROMs, DVD players, etc.

ciao,

der.hans
#  I've got a photographic memory,
#  but I'm lousy photographer. - der.hans