Custom kernel with Fedora 6

Kenneth madhse at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 23 18:39:39 MST 2007

I hope someone has run across this and has an idea how to get past it.

I just installed Fedora Core 6, with the goal of educating myself on the use
of virtaul machines (with Xen).

The first thing I always do after installing is make a custom kernel.  I
thought I knew a little about the subject, but either i'm missing something
stupid, or the kernel build process has suddenly changed.

I followed the instruction from a FAQ on Fedora's website, looking at the
latest in case something is different recently.  I got the source rpm and
used their rpmbuild command to create the source tree.  I started with the
supplied config file that included the Xen setup.  The compile and install
looked normal to me, with no errors listed.

The problem is that GRUB doesn't like the kernel image that was installed in
/boot.  If I say file /boot/vm*, I get
/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-1.2944.fc6: Linux kernel x86 boot executable RO-rootFS,
root_dev 0x901, swap_dev 0x1, Normal VGA
/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-prep:       gzip compressed data, from Unix, last
modified: Mon Apr 23 17:34:14 2007, max compression

So it's definitely a different file type than the kernel that was installed
from the DVD.

I thought I would just copy the image myself, but the only thing I can find
that looks useful is a file named vmlinuz, which is what the install process
copied to /boot.

Any ideas appreciated...