How *best* to convert lps & tapes to digital files?

Dan Lund situationalawareness at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 15:54:41 MST 2007

You will need a pre-amp in order to plug in a turntable into the soundcard.
That's basically what the usb turntables are, a turntable with a
pre-amp built in, and a usb interface. Quite nice, though the only
ones I've seen are closer to $100-$200.

On 4/23/07, Josef Lowder <joe at actionline.com> wrote:
> .
> I've searched the 'net and read many articles on this subject,
> but I'm still not clear on what might be the *best* way to do this.
>
> Some have said that one can plug a turntable or cassette player
> directly into a mini "line-in" jack on a laptop computer and use
> 'audacity' to record, clean-up noise, edit tracks, and burn CDs.
>
> Others have said that one must use (but be careful using) amplified
> output from a stereo amplifier or headphones output or through a
> mixer to a "line-in" jack on any computer sound card to do this.
>
> Also, saw link: http://www.vanemery.com/Linux/Rip/rip-analog.html
>
> Today, my son pointed me to a nifty turntable that plugs directly into
> a computer usb port to do this.  Investigating further, I found a small
> box called "ADS Instant Music RDX-150" for $39.95 that claims to allow
> plugging in a turntable, a cassette player, and other devices and
> then plugging that item into a USB port to convert analog music
> to digital MP3, WAV, WMA, and/or AAC files.
>
> It's available from here:
> http://www.meritline.com/ads-instant-music.html
>
> There seem to be several different brands and models of this item
> (i.e. from Tiger Direct and others) that do essentially the same thing,
> but I can't tell if there might be an important difference in the
> quality or capability of some of these items.
>
> So, before I order one of these, I thought I should ask my trusty
> PLUG friends for advice and wise counsel.

"Courage is like love; it must have hope to nourish it."
-Napoleon Bonaparte