Tape Backup

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Sun Apr 22 13:20:58 MST 2007

It looks like the HP DAT-72 USB drives work with Linux.  With 36GB native capacity, they should work quite well for your application.
If you're willing to swap tapes a little more often, a DDS-4 drive (20GB native capacity) would save about $120.
Either way the tapes are around $10-$15 with the drive costing around $550-$750.

With tape it's important to always verify the backup immediately (most backup solutions offer this as an option), but it does roughly double the backup time (from ~2 to ~4 hours for this situation).
Also, always rotate media, since tape fails at roughly the same rate as disk (media MTBF), but it's a bit more silent about it.  Rotating media not only prolongs media life, it also reduces the probability that a single media failure will result in catastrophic data loss.  Running double backups can also help reliability (each backup is run twice, to two non-overlapping media pools), but it again doubles the backup window and also doubles the number of tapes used.

==Joseph++