Accelerated Open Source OpenGL in Linux

JT Moree moreejt at pcxperience.com
Sun Apr 22 08:33:26 MST 2007

I'm reviving this thread because I remembered the other (and very
important) reason that I use proprietary video drivers.

I have a laptop with an nvidia chipset.  I use both the laptop lcd AND
the external vga connection in dual head/twin view.  I have become quite
used to having multiple screens and feel that I am much more productive.

Are there any open source video drivers with support for dual head AND
OpenGL hardware acceleration?

I've left the rest of the original post below so that you can refresh
your memory on this dicussion.

As I review the thread I see that we came to the conclusion that Intel
chips and open source drivers work reasonably well (Beryl, Compiz, Etc).

Does anyone have an intel chipset (which are all integrated nowadays)
that supports dual head?  Laptops have been using this model for a long
time and there are many laptops with intel graphics--esp on the low end.

(By dual head I don't mean displaying the same thing on both screens.  I
want two separate screens where the cursor moves between them.)

JT Moree wrote:
> Darrin Chandler wrote:
>
>>> Having all this wonderful free software is great until you start
>>> mangling it with proprietary stuff. It seems ok now, but it WILL get
>>> worse. That's the normal way that freedoms are eroded - trading a little
>>> temporary convenience for essential freedoms (to paraphrase a much
>>> better quote).
>
> <rant>
> I liked being able to tell people that if Linux doesn't work out of the
> box on your hardware, it's not going to.  Now I have to say, "well, we
> can look for drivers and see if it will work."  Which is even worse than
> the windows driver model bc there may not be a working driver.
> </rant>
>
> But as someone who likes being able to actually use the accelerated
> OpenGL hardware in my machine I have to ask:
>
> Is there a viable open source driver for any commercially viable video
> hardware that will give me hardware accelerated OpenGL?  (Intel
> announced open sourcing it's video stuff recently.  anyone use it?)
>
> It doesn't have to be the fastest and best performance available--but I
> want accelerated OpenGL and NO it's not for playing games.
>
> Until I can answer that question I have no choice but to use proprietary
>  nvidia (or whatever) drivers on my system.

- --
JT Morée
PC Xperience, Inc.

believed to be clean.