upgrading to fiesty

John Schember j5483 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 20 09:24:21 MST 2007

I did an upgrade on my Notebook and Desktop. The notebook was a standard
install of Edgy with no changes. The Desktop was heavily modified but
with everything installed from a .deb package. Both upgrades went well.
The only issues with the desktop is the Qemu kernel module had to be
recompiled and Truecrypt hasn't been updated to work with Feisty yet.

In most cases I would recommend a fresh install but both systems
upgraded amazingly well. If you really don't want to have to worry you
could do
# dpkg -l > installed_packages.txt
# cp /home/<your user> /media/<another drive>
# cp /etc /media/<another drive>
do a fresh install, copy your home directory and any changed files from
etc and use the generated package list to install reinstall any non
standard packages.

John