samba help

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Thu Apr 19 20:12:35 MST 2007

Am 18. Apr, 2007 schwätzte Jeremy C. Reed so:

>> I'm trying to advertise shares from a RHEL3 box to an m$ domain.
>>
>> I gather one must first get the box to join the domain. The account that
>> joins the domain has to have administrator rights?
>>
>> I have been given a userid and password for the domain, but they're not
>> working.
>>

>> $ smbclient -L $pdcname -U $username
>> Password:
>> session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
>
> What type of Microsoft server?

Windows Server 2003

> Maybe in your smb.conf use:
>
>  client ntlmv2 auth = yes

Without a client parameter won't it try everything?

> Check your smb.conf(5) man page about what that breaks too.
>
> Or make changes on your Windows system for LMCompatibility. See
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/profwin/pw0203.mspx
> or
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;239869

It would be better if I didn't have to ask for changes on the m$ side.
Samba should be able to join a default AD setup, shouldn't it?

ciao,

der.hans
#  Like the maid, I don't do (M$)Windows. - der.hans