Article Submission

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 13:56:52 MST 2007

On 4/17/07, Alan Dayley <alandd at consultpros.com> wrote:
<snip>

> As a counter-experience, I recently installed OpenSUSE 10.2 on my new
> laptop that came pre-installed with Windows Vista Home Basic.  Straight
> out of the Toshiba box from Best Buy I had to do nothing special and the
> Linux installer configured GRUB just fine.  I have a coworker who bought
> another Toshiba laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium and installed the
> same way, no issues.
>
> I do not repeat these stories to discount your hard won experience and
> excellent document.  I only point out that the problems you describe did
> not happen to me, with an OEM install of Windows Vista.  Either the
> OpenSUSE 10.2 installer is smart enough to work around it or some
> computer makers are installing Vista in such a way that it does not
> cause the problem.  Or, something else.  ;^)
>
> Alan

Alan,
Would you mind sending me some information?  Specifically, the BCD info from
Vista and the grub menu info from your /boot/grub/menu.lst.  For Vista, open
a command window as administrator and type bcdedit /enum >
/anypath/bcdenum.txt (or leave off the redirect if you know how to
copy/paste from a command window in Vista).

I am finding more info on the web about the Vista changes so am interested
in what Novell did.  For example
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529shows the same stuff where
someone installs XP after Vista.

Eric,
I will be happy to but I am holding off proliferating my artice a few days
since I may need an update for situations like Alan pointed out.

and those who matter don't mind.  - Dr. Seuss