amaroK

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Sun Apr 15 19:24:15 MST 2007

Given your recent ALSA problems, AmaroK is probably having trouble accessing the sound card.

play (and sox, for which play is a frontend) use the sound device in a fairly agnostic manner, they don't care which sound system is in control and will work fine with ALSA, OSS, and ESD.
AmaroK insists on ALSA, however, so it won't work if OSS or ESD is in charge.

You might want to bring the system to the next installfest and ask someone to help you clean up so you're only running one sound system.  This will, however, probably break some of your apps, since too many apps, like AmaroK, insist on being specific to a particular sound system.