Problems with ALSA and rdesktop

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Sat Apr 14 06:23:36 MST 2007

On Saturday 14 April 2007 00:42, Nathan Aubrey wrote:
> look if esd is running.

It is running

> You can try running 'esddsp grdesktop' which will
> pipe grdesktop through esd, or just 'killall -9 esd' and then run
> grdesktop.

I tried the 'killall -9 esd', and then restarted grdesktop. Still had the same
problem. I also don't have esddsp installed on my system.

> As great as alsa is, our current desktops still run stupid
> programs, esd and arts, to control sound instead of accessing arts
> directly. that will be fixed soon in KDE 4, in Gnome... uh...

I am not following you. Do you mean that if I run alsa I don't need esd or
arts? Should I remove them from my system?

Could something else be using /dev/dsp as well? I also have a /dev/dsp1.

Thanks!
--
Mark Phillips