OSS Project Documentation

Eric "Shubes" plug at shubes.net
Thu Apr 12 09:19:15 MST 2007

DX wrote:
> Does anybody know any good php based documentation software. I just
> recently started on a new project and one of the requirements is that
> everything gets documented properly, but even more important, they want
> documentation not only to be inside the code itself but management also
> wants to be able to access the documentation.
>
> My thoughts on this requirement is that I'm going to have to write two
> documentation sets, one for the code itself and one for others to see.
> The one I'm more concerned about is the one for others to see. I was
> thinking of having a type of blog where I can enter which part of the
> project is referring to and what does it do, as well as how to use it. I
> don't think a blog will be good enough so I was wondering if there are
> any php tools for documenting software that would help me out. I'm
> looking for a web based solution so anyone can access it.
>
> --Robert N

I agree with other posts that a wiki would be nice. However, I'd recommend
trac w/ subversion. trac is a project management system which integrates a
wiki, subversion, and a ticketing system. It is particularly nice because
the wiki can link directly into the svn (code) repository, so the code can
easily be integrated/tied to wiki documentation.
http://trac.edgewall.org/

--
-Eric 'shubes'