OSS Project Documentation

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Wed Apr 11 12:01:42 MST 2007

Am 11. Apr, 2007 schwätzte DX so:

> Does anybody know any good php based documentation software. I just
> recently started on a new project and one of the requirements is that
> everything gets documented properly, but even more important, they want
> documentation not only to be inside the code itself but management also
> wants to be able to access the documentation.

phpDocumentor.

http://www.phpdoc.org/

Started by one of the guys who runs AzPHP. I don't know if Josh is still
involved with phpDocumentor, but you could probably talk him into doing
a presentation for AzPHP. I could ask him about doing a presentation for
PLUG-devel.

> My thoughts on this requirement is that I'm going to have to write two
> documentation sets, one for the code itself and one for others to see.
> The one I'm more concerned about is the one for others to see. I was
> thinking of having a type of blog where I can enter which part of the
> project is referring to and what does it do, as well as how to use it. I
> don't think a blog will be good enough so I was wondering if there are
> any php tools for documenting software that would help me out. I'm
> looking for a web based solution so anyone can access it.

phpDocumentor is more geared around documenting the code, but you might be
able to get it to also provide high-level documents that don't have the
code info. Minimally you should be able to include the high level docs at
the top.

Then again, do you really want to change code to fix a typo in the
high-level documentation?

ciao,

der.hans
#  "The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."
#   -- Albert Einstein