OSS Project Documentation

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Wed Apr 11 09:43:51 MST 2007

On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 09:41:49AM -0700, DX wrote:
> Does anybody know any good php based documentation software. I just
> recently started on a new project and one of the requirements is that
> everything gets documented properly, but even more important, they want
> documentation not only to be inside the code itself but management also
> wants to be able to access the documentation.
>
> My thoughts on this requirement is that I'm going to have to write two
> documentation sets, one for the code itself and one for others to see.
> The one I'm more concerned about is the one for others to see. I was
> thinking of having a type of blog where I can enter which part of the
> project is referring to and what does it do, as well as how to use it. I
> don't think a blog will be good enough so I was wondering if there are
> any php tools for documenting software that would help me out. I'm
> looking for a web based solution so anyone can access it.

Sounds like you want a wiki. MediaWiki is popular, but there are several
others that are also popular and well regarded. Many people use wikis
for internal company documentation. Alan Dayley was just talking about
using one at his work.

I'm sure others here can give you good specific suggestions.

--
Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD User Group  |  MetaBUG
dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://phxbug.org/      |  http://metabug.org/