Why this wireless connection so slow?

Josef Lowder joe at actionline.com
Tue Apr 10 16:15:55 MST 2007

.
On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 08:37, Josef Lowder wrote
> After trying to install kubuntu (and having it destroy my winxp
> partition), I installed PCLinuxOS and it not only works perfectly,
> its installation "fixed" the problems that kubuntu created with
> grub.  So now both winxp and Linux boot fine ... and with PCLinuxOS,
> everything "just works," including wireless, right "out of the box."
>
> However, I have discovered a very curious problem with the wireless connection
> in one location.  I am now on a two week trip and I while the
> wireless connection worked perfectly on my home router (2-wire) and
> it worked perfectly in the hotel where we stayed last night, now
> that we are staying at our daughter's home, the wireless connection
> to the router in her home that works at 54Mbps when I boot xp is
> painfully slow when I boot Linux.  For both, I connected with a WEP
> key (whatever that means).
>
> So, any suggestions how to correct this problem?  While it seems to
> work fine when I first connect, within a minute, the connection
> slows down to a complete halt when I try to view web mail.

Well, I didn't receive any reply to this question, but after much
searching and experimenting, I think I may have solved this problem.
At least my wireless connection seems to be working okay now.

So, this message is just to recap what I have learned in case it
might help someone else.

My daughter changed her wireless router from a "wpa" to a "wep"
type of connection, which then used a different "key" to be entered.
The first (wpa) "key" was a 16-character alpha-numeric "key."  The
second (wep) "key" was a 26 character alpha-numeric "key."  But after
setting this up, nothing worked.  So, I finally ended up deleting
the wireless configuration entirely and when I reinitiated it, it
all works fine, now.