Newbie can't get printer to run

Harold hmichels01 at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 10 13:27:38 MST 2007

I am a newbie Linux user, but have been working with computers for a
while. I have been having way too much fun trying to get a printer
running. I replaced the printer because the previous machine was not
supported by Linux.

OS: Fedora Core 6
Printer: Canon Pixma 4200
Port: USB

I did not have a Canon iP4200 listed under the printer applett, only an
iP4000 which did not run. I tried to set up the Canon iP4200 using the
Linux driver from the Canon web site. I received an error message:

“You will need to install the 'gutenprint-foomatic' package in order to
use this driver.

I also received another error message that “Unable to verify
libxfce4util-devel-4.0-1.f6.i386”

The gutenprint message is puzzling since I have a /etc/foomatic folder.
The missing lib message is very obscure since I do not have any
understanding of how to deal with such issues, only knowledge that this
is a common Linux problem. Today I ran:

[root at localhost gutenprint-foomatic-5.0.0.99.1-1fcRMP-i386]# rpm -ivh
gutenprint-foomatic-5.0.0.99.1-2.fc7.i386.rpm

and received

error: Failed dependencies: gutenprint = 5.0.0.99.1-2.fc7 is needed by
gutenprint-foomatic-5.0.0.99.1-2.fc7.i386

This sounds like it is telling me that it can't install gutenprint
unless gutenprint is installed.

Can anyone tell me what I am missing?