grub problem

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Mon Apr 9 20:51:01 MST 2007

Am 09. Apr, 2007 schwätzte Shawn Badger so:

> Your sure that with all 3 drives in the system the drive you are
> successfully booting from is sda? It sounds like to me that it is still

Well, originally it was sda, but then when I added drives it was sdb and I
was still booting off of it. Now it seems to only work when sda.

> booting off your old drive. these are probably SATA drive, so I would say
> that sda is really the drive on the 0 connector on the broad and go down
> from there. i could and probably am totally wrong, but that is where I would
> start.

In all cases when the original drives was in it was on SATA1 with 2-4
being the other on board SATA connectors.

Could I dd the first 512 bytes off the original drive onto one of the new
drives and have any hope that the system would actually boot off the new
drive?

Maybe I should just hit them all.

for i in `seq 0 2`; do grub-install hd${i},0; done

ciao,

der.hans
#  "Who decided that holders of government-granted monopolies should
#  determine the future of high tech? I don't remember reading that memo."
#    -- Will Rodger, director of public policy, Computer and Communications
#       Industry Association