grub problem

Kenneth madhse at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 9 15:12:16 MST 2007

--- "der.hans" <PLUGd at LuftHans.com> wrote:

> Short Version:
>
> I can't get my new drives to boot. The first stage for grub doesn't load.
> I used grub-install in an attempt to set the new drives up for booting.
>
> sda is one of the new drives.
>
> I tried the following.
>
> grub-install /dev/sda
> grub-install /dev/sda1

You mention using the tab-completion for partitions.  Which grub commands did
you use from the grub prompt, and what were the results?  I believe if you
use the root command, it will tell you it's searching for the stage2 files,
and whatever else it does.  Or maybe that's when you use the setup command, I
don't remember off the top of my head.

I haven't set up raid on any Linux, so if it's related to that I probably
can't help.