Here's a Handy Tool for Disk Imaging

Jon M. Hanson jon at the-hansons-az.net
Mon Apr 9 06:01:08 MST 2007

dd (and all of the variants mentioned here) makes a sector-by-sector
copy of the physical disk. It doesn't care what filesystem is used
because it isn't reading at the filesystem level. It's reading the
actual bits that make up the filesystem structures and the files
themselves. So if you properly use dd (capture the correct partitions)
then you will get an image that will allow you to do a "bare metal"
recovery without having to reinstall the operating system.