Old Hardware

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 10:14:27 MST 2007

On 4/6/07, Jim <arizona.anorak at gmail.com> wrote:

> vodhner at cox.net wrote:
> > I asked a guy at Data Doctors about AzSTRUT, which accepts
> > any kind of old electronics.  He said STRUT has someone who
> > really does "the right thing" with the waste stuff.  I didn't pursue
> > it, but he sounded really sure that that was part of STRUT's
> > mission and they took it seriously.
>
> I read someplace that there's enough gold in a computer that some
> companies are "mining" old computer parts.
>
> --

You might want to look at http://www.azstrut.org for some information.
There is no good information there about what is done with hardware which is
no longer reusable and I have sent an email to Ken about that.  In fact,
they send stuff the program cannot use to West-Tech for proper recycling and
West-Tech pays AZStRUT for it so even junk is useful to the program.

Yes, there are companies that mine metals, such as gold, from old electronic
parts and I am sure West-Tech does that.  It is what makes green recycling
profitable.  In this case, some of that pays a small part of the cost of
operating AZStRUT.  But I don't think that is the kind of mining you were
referring to.

"That income tax you know it's nothing more than legal robbery"
> Sidney "Pa" Larkin

and those who matter don't mind.  - Dr. Seuss