Problems with Knoppix

vodhner at cox.net vodhner at cox.net
Sat Apr 7 22:40:43 MST 2007

Hi, Mark.

If that swap partition was the problem, then the copy that
you already made from /dev/hda will never get a matching
checksum.

To get a verifiable copy, you need to do the copy all over
again, and make totally sure that no swapping gets done
to that device for the entire span of time you are making the
copy and taking the checksum from /dev/hda.  Incidentally,
it would appear that you may have been swapping to
/dev/hda while you made that first copy from it.

I think it is pretty unusual to ghost a whole device like this.
I can see it makes sense because your goal is to just
restore the entire device, but it seems pretty messy in a way.

I suggest you back up any valuable files from any filesystems
on that drive, so they could be restored as files if necessary.
This would be for backup purposes, and you would not
need to use the backup if your whole-device restore worked
out OK.  But if anything were to go Horribly Wrong[TM], you
would thank yourself for saving the files in an individually
restorable form.  If you had to rebuild or reinstall your
operating systems and apps, you'd still have your files.
(I never do full backups, I just make sure I have copies of
files in various places.  You may already be in the habit of
doing the Right Thing, in which case you may already have
those filesystem backups.)

Vic