How do I save a disk image of my laptop hard drive?

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Fri Apr 6 08:18:34 MST 2007

On Thursday 05 April 2007 15:51, George Toft wrote:
> Method 1:
> 1.  Boot a knoppix cd
> 2.  Open a root terminal window and issue this command:
> dd if=/dev/hda | ssh user at someremotehost "> /path/to/file/backup.img"

The file backup.img is created on someremotehost, but it has zero length. The
drive hda does not spin up on the laptop when I issue this command.

dd if=/dev/hda | ssh mark at 192.168.25.125 ">/home/mark/backup.img"

I get the message after I enter my password - "Warning: no xauth data; using
fake authentication data for X11 forwarding."

However, if I do cfdisk /dev/hda from the same knoppix terminal window, the
drive hda does spin up and cfdisk reports the correct partitions.

What am I missing to get the drive copied?

Thanks!

Mark