How do I save a disk image of my laptop hard drive?

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Thu Apr 5 12:21:15 MST 2007

I have a laptop that dual boots Windows and Debian. I need to make a complete
backup of the entire drive. I have another Windows XP machine on my network
(or another Debian machine) with some extra disk space, so I would like to
create an image of the disk drive and store it there. I then want to restore
it later. How do I do that?

I have been googling around for "hard drive backup" and "partition backup". I
found a few options, tested them on the Window 200 partition, and they don't
seem to be able to do the job. One problem I have is that Windows 2000 does
not see the Linux partition and Debian does not see the Windows 2000
partition. Based on what I read, I should unmount the drive I am copying - is
this true?

I am not enough of a Linux guru to figure out how to use dd across the
network. Can I run dd on the system I am imaging?

Can I do this with a knoppix CD? Is there a howto somewhere? I couldn't find
it.

Thanks!

Mark