cd rom problems

betty nicepenguin at webcanine.com
Wed Apr 4 16:26:52 MST 2007

help !

i have 'lost contact' with my cd rom drive.
i tried putting in a new drive, although that was probably *not* the
problem since the hardware browser still found the old drive.....
when i start up the computer it says something like 'cannot stat cd rom
drive, no such device in fstab'

but here is the contents of fstab;
> LABEL=/                 /                       ext3
> defaults        1 1
> LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3
> defaults        1 2
> none                    /dev/pts                devpts
> gid=5,mode=620  0 0
> none                    /proc                   proc
> defaults        0 0
> none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs
> defaults        0 0
> /dev/hda3               swap                    swap
> defaults        0 0
> /dev/sda3               /exthdd                 ext3
> defaults        0 0
> /dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660
> noauto,owner,kudzu,ro

i also tried to use this in fstab, but not help there either
> LABEL=/                 /                       ext3
> defaults        1 1
> LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3
> defaults        1 2
> none                    /dev/pts                devpts
> gid=5,mode=620  0 0
> none                    /proc                   proc
> defaults        0 0
> none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs
> defaults        0 0
> /dev/hda3               swap                    swap
> defaults        0 0
> /dev/sda3               /exthdd                 ext3
> defaults        0 0
> /dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              auto
> defaults        0 0

here is the contents of mnt;
> [stormy at bigdog mnt]$ ls
> cdrom  flash  floppy  sdb