how to fix grub error 16 from kubuntu install?

Josef Lowder joe at actionline.com
Tue Apr 3 14:54:46 MST 2007

.
fdisk -l says "Partition # does not end on a cylindar boundary"

Tried Knoppix qtparted but could not find any way to restore MBR there.

qtparted shows this:  http://tlnf.com/zcloset/PARTEDX.JPG

Tried Knoppix "Partition Image" where I saw "action to be done" with
the option: "restore an MBR from the image file" but there was no
image file fron which to restore.

Tried the suggestions from the this website:
http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2005/11/how-to-repair-corrupt-mbr-and-boot.html
None worked.  Got the message: "FATAL kernel too old" and then when trying
to boot with a newer kernel, the computer totally locked up and I could
not even turn it off.  Had to unplug and remove battery to get it to turn off.

Tried several Linux rescue disks, booted several different ways to "rescue"
and none worked.  Got error message "No known Linux boot loader found" and
"can't find piix.ko in archive" and other such messages.

Now been at this for seven hours.  No progress.