Linux Video editing & DVR-MS heck...

Bryan O'Neal BONeal at cornerstonehome.com
Mon Apr 2 18:27:25 MST 2007

I am looking for a video editing tool(s), something that lets me do
basic things like rip DVD's, remove sections, add sections, perhaps do
some basic fading, strip audio out, add audio in, maybe take a video and
save out just the audio portion to a file, convert to a couple of
different file types, decrease the file size (quality), etc.

Over the last few years I have heard people say how far Linux was coming
in video editing and I would like to give it a try...   I have heard
something's about Kino and Cinelerra, however, since I have been brain
dead and rather time restricted lately I would like to get some feed
back before I start compiling away.  I have to flavors of movie files,
.avi files from my camera and .dvr-ms files from my windows box's
capture card.

Thoughts on video editing for Linux?

<<read only if you plan on slamming me for the DVR-MS portion of this
question>>

Note on the DVR-MS files:

If it can handle DVR-MS files all the better. DVR-MS files are a MS
Media Center's xml wrapped mpeg2 files that can contain cheep DRM. Why
do I have DVR-MS files you ask? Well, I have a very nice computer for
gamming and it came with Windows Media Center and a video capture card.
I can not resize my drive (nothing I tried understands this combo of
sata drives and ntfs) and can not get VM to use the video capture card,
so I am stuck recording in windows, and yes I (obviously) own and use a
Media Center PC, and no I did not pay for it, and no I don't think it
comes with video editing software (At least I don't thinks so, I could
be wrong) and no am I really not willing to invest money into video
editing software for windows... Perhaps for Linux, but not for
windows... and no I am not willing to wipe out my gamming machine for
Linux (no MS licenses for my media and no media for my licenses, I may
install another drive latter, but for now I am poor and cheep)

Please no windows slams, I have too many lately...

<< >>