xine w/ wmv - no video

Eric "Shubes" plug at shubes.net
Sat Sep 30 09:18:49 MST 2006

Thanks again for all the pointers, Joseph. I haven't gotten around to trying
them yet.

I just thought of something else though that is probably a contributing
factor (I should have made this connection before now). I upgraded the video
card and monitor on my system a month or two ago, so I'm guessing that the
graphics card/monitor driver/settings is probably the culprit. Would
re-installing xine or something possibly correct the problem?

BTW, I have another problem with my video that I've simply been living with
for the time being. Let me see if I can explain it.

First of all, when I'm in a terminal window, everything is hunky dory.
However, when I'm in a gui window (like Thunderbird Composer, for instance),
pressing the arrow keys leaves 'trails' of the cursor (blinking vertical
bar) when I move around the text. Then, when I begin typing again with
'normal' characters, the 'trails' go away.

Is this likely a problem with my graphics configuration?

The video card is EVGA e-GeForce 6200 (nvidia) AGP. lcpci shows:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 6200 (rev a1)
(prog-if 00 [VGA])
         Subsystem: eVga.com. Corp. Unknown device a341
         Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64
         Memory at ce000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
         Memory at b0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
         Memory at cd000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
         Expansion ROM at cfee0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
         Capabilities: [44] AGP version 3.0

xorg.conf settings are:
Section "ServerLayout"
         Identifier     "single head configuration"
         Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
         InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
         FontPath     "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "Module"
         Load  "dbe"
         Load  "extmod"
         Load  "fbdevhw"
         Load  "glx"
         Load  "record"
         Load  "freetype"
         Load  "type1"
         Load  "dri"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
         Identifier  "Keyboard0"
         Driver      "kbd"
         Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
         Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
         Identifier  "Mouse0"
         Driver      "mouse"
         Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
         Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
         Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
         Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
         Identifier   "Monitor0"
         VendorName   "ViewSonic"
         ModelName    "VA2012wSERIE"
         DisplaySize  430        270
         HorizSync    30.0 - 94.0
         VertRefresh  50.0 - 75.0
         Option      "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
         Identifier  "Videocard0"
         Driver      "nv"
         VendorName  "EVGA"
         BoardName   "nVidia Corporation GeForce 6200"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
         Identifier "Screen0"
         Device     "Videocard0"