FW: Production Server

Eric "Shubes" plug at shubes.net
Thu Sep 28 06:59:46 MST 2006

Kevin wrote:
> A friend asked me the following questions, but I have no experience in this
> area.  I would like to collect some PLUG input and send it back to him.
>
> Any takers?
>
> ...Kevin

Yes, and yes it is. ;)
I have hylafax server. It works very well.

> Is there a better one?

Not to my knowledge.

> We use 4 lines (2 incoming and and 2 outgoing) and send about 500 faxes a
> day.

The only thing to be wary of is the type of modem and it's configuration
(Class 1 operation is better than Class 2). I presume the vendor will have
figured all that out.

> For a production server, is CentOS or Fedora better?

CentOS. More stable, fewer updates.

> Do you know of anyone able to setup a server of our own like this and
> willing to reliably support it (for a fee of course) if we had a problem I
> couldn't solve?

I'd be happy to.

> Thank you very much.  Take care!
> Greg

There is one consideration I didn't see asked about, and that's fax client
software. There are several options. Hylafax is very flexible, but does not
include a fax client (of any significance). For windoze clients, I use
Cypheus. I don't have any linux clients at this time. Greg needs to
determine what his client requirements are, if/how faxes will be routed,
etc. Simply printing them is a slam dunk, but there is so much more that
hylafax can do, like routing to email addresses and such.

--
-Eric 'shubes'