video capture

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Wed Sep 27 11:23:44 MST 2006

Just a thought, but you might want to record to a simpler format than AVI-wrapped whatever (something uncompressed perhaps...) to make it easier on your system, and then convert to AVI after-the-fact.
AVI is actually a container spec, and may contain almost anything (from MPEG to DivX to Indeo) as the core codec.
If you were to choose DivX, for instance, you could wrap that in AVI using one of the many converters available, most likely without quality loss, since it's just wrapping a container around the original file.