Toshiba laptop with only 128M of RAM

Alexander Henry alexanderhenry at cox.net
Mon Sep 25 22:43:30 MST 2006

keith smith wrote:
> After all the talk about http://www.ubuntu.com/ I'm downloading it and
> going to give it a try on the old AMD500 PCs I have..
>
> I have a old Toshiba laptop with only 128M of RAM and I use a dlink
> wireless PCMCIA card.
>
> I wonder how hard it would be to install Ubuntu on it?  I assume it
> would be mostly plug and play.
>
> Keith

We just had an experience with an old 500 and the new Ubuntu.  The
installer is X-window system only.  This caught me off-guard because I
was used to Ubuntu using the highly light-weight Debian ncurses screens
for install.  The 16MB/500MHz box took 10 minutes to boot off of CD,
crawled past the drive init screen after another 15, then hanged there
for half an hour.

You need to download the "alternate install CD".  All the Ubuntu mirrors
listed on the web page carry them, you'll see on the downloads page one
of the "special situations" which calls for its use is "systems with
less than about 192MB of RAM."  O.o  It will give you the light-weight
installer, and let you do most everything you expect from Debian Linux
but which you don't want Aunt Tillie to see.

--
Alexander