xine w/ wmv - no video

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Mon Sep 25 18:03:06 MST 2006

It's more likely that the new videos use new WMV codecs or require a "phone-home" call to play.  WMV an "evolving" format, meaning that MS modifies it every 6 months or so to ensure it won't be reliably playable on any platform except Windows.  The modifications are generally nothing more than a new FourCC, a slight packet header change, and some additional options for restricting content, but they don't play on the old codecs, so you have to "upgrade" a Windows machine, then pull in the new codec DLL to get it to play.  If the videos require a "Phone Home" check, they won't play anywhere except Windows, no matter what you do.