Ubuntu group (Was: Re: roll call: Ubuntu users)

Joshua Zeidner jjzeidner at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 11:04:05 MST 2006

On 9/25/06, der.hans <PLUGd at lufthans.com> wrote:

> Am 24. Sep, 2006 schwätzte Joshua Zeidner so:
>
> > Thanks.  Ill go ahead and drive this one home if there is no particular
> > opposition to my doing so.  The Ubuntu LoCo groups are taken fairly
> > seriously and there is a level of formality that may be a bit alien to
> most
> > Linux folks.
>
> Is there a reason PLUG can't be the LoCo group?

  No reason other than my feeling that PLUG should not favor any one distro
over another.

We used to be a local group for Red Hat, but the people working that
> stopped working the relationship. Dennis has us signed up for SuSE.
>
> If you want to do Ubuntu-specific presentations please get them on the
> schedule. Same for anyone wanting to cover Fedora Core, SuSE, Mandriva,
> etc. Yes, Dennis, you already know Slackware is OK because you do it :).
> And, yes, Darrin, you know *BSD is OK too :).
>
> Being distro agnostic doesn't prevent us from doing things specific to a
> particular distro/OS. We generally try to stick with Free Software and/or
> *NIX.
>
> > If anyone has a problem with this, please speak up now.  If we want a
> > vote, all I need is one person to speak up.  I would just consider it
> plain
> > obnoxious to go ahead and put my name on the Ubuntu site without
> contacting
> > the local Ubuntu users.
>
> I think it would be better to work with PLUG rather than starting a new
> org. As Alan mentioned, PLUG stuff happens because someone makes it
> happen. Alexander did just that with the InstallFests, which have now been
> going for a couple of years.
>
> The founders of PLUG haven't been involved in years. PLUG has continued
> without them because people stepped up to make things happen as the
> founders and subsequent past leaders drifted away. I hope it will continue
> as I and the other leaders move on.
>
> I see no reason why PLUG can't be the local group or affiliate for various
> distributions or packages or even other orgnizations. For instance, I hope
> PLUG will be a local affiliate for LOPSA once LOPSA is ready to start
> making such relationships.

  As a few have mentioned here a LoCo group requires approval by Ubuntu.
There can be only one LoCo group for a locale.  I think the team contact
should:

   1) show a level of dedication
   2) show plan/goals for the group
   3) be impartial commercially

  -jmz

ciao,

> der.hans
>

> > Thanks again, Alan.
> >
> > jmz
> >
> > On 9/24/06, Alan Dayley <alandd at consultpros.com> wrote:

> > ( 602 ) 490 8006
> > jjzeidner at gmail.com
> >

> --
> #  https://www.LuftHans.com/        http://www.CiscoLearning.org/
> #  Join the League of Professional System Administrators!
> https://LOPSA.org/
> #  Like the maid, I don't do (M$)Windows. - der.hans

( 602 ) 490 8006
jjzeidner at gmail.com